Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pay it forward

It's Saturday night, the first Leafs hockey game of the season is about to come on and they're playing the Canadiens. We have quite a few reservations set up and people are pouring in. Now, one thing I dislike is turning customers away because we are full. One thing I dislike more than that is customers failing to understand that there is no room for them to sit and no guarantee, especially during the season opening games. A couple customers did not understand the concept of 'there is no room.' My recommendation: If you plan on going out to a smaller restaurant on a Saturday night and you have 8 other people with you, please do us and yourselves a favour and just call ahead.

So, in walks a lady with her two tween daughters, immediately I say "We're terribly sorry, but as you can see we are full right now and the game is about to start." Apparently she didn't comprehend what I was relaying to her. She simply refused and went on to tell me that she was invited by the owner and drove over 100 km to get there to eat. If you work in the industry you very well know that everyone knows the owner. People try to threaten you with it while others steer toward a discount. I don't buy it.

Three seats opened up at the bar so I had them sit there and have a drink while they wait for a table to clear, which wasn't going to happen for at least 2 hours. A few young guys sitting in the dining room heard what had happened at the front door and told me they would give their table to the lady and her two children. What nice guys! I find simple acts of kindness to be rewarding for all people involved. I tell the lady, who by the way at this time has been dubbed a b*tch by the staff because of her complete apathy to our situation, that there is a table and the guys were personally giving it to her. Turns out she gives them a $50 gift card for their kind gesture! The lady who we all thought was a witch was suddenly this really kind appreciative lady who may have had a bout of frustration upon arrival.

I was the lucky one who served her table and when I say lucky what I actually mean is unlucky. She was nothing short of picky, particular, meticulous, and the list goes on. But I knew I had to smile through it because deep down inside that cold outer shell she had a heart and she showed it by paying it forward to those nice guys who gave her place to sit.

Lesson of the day: You can simultaneously be a b*tch and a nice person.


No comments:

Post a Comment